As previously mentioned, The Autoimmune Paleo Cookbook, is one of my favorite books and I have been cooking a lot from it. I love cookbooks that provide pictures with all of their recipes because it gives me an idea of what the end product should look like and this book does exactly that!
I love chicken, more than any other meat, chicken is my favorite. It’s easy to cook and versatile. This recipe is so good that I have cooked it twice already. Like always, I made some slight modifications to the recipe and the changes are noted below.
- 3 to 4 pastured whole chicken legs, with skin
- 2 tablespoons solid cooking fat
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cups halved button or crimini mushrooms
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh sage
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1/3 cup bone broth
- 1/3 cup filtered water
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 lemon, juiced
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees F
- Rinse the chicken with cool water and pat dry, make sure the chicken is at room temperature before frying.
- Heat the cookie fat in an oven-proof skillet or cat-iron skillet on medium-high heat. When fat has melted and the skillet is hot, brown the chicken skin-side down for 8 minutes, or until golden and crispy. Remove from the pan and set aside.
- Turn the heat down to medium and add the garlic, stirring while cooking for a minute. Add the mushrooms and sage, cooking for another minute. Turn off heat, add the apple cider vinegar and return the chicken to the pan, with the crispy browned skin facing up.
- Add the bone broth, water, and salt and place the pan in the oven. cook for 35 to 45 minutes, or until a thermometer placed in the thickest part reads 165 degrees.
- Serve with some of the pan juices and fresh lemon juice squeezed on top.
- I like to brine my chicken, I let it sit in water with garlic powder and salt for about an hour. After an hour toss the water and pat dry the chicken, you might want to let the chicken sit a few minutes before frying. Be careful, if water remains on the chicken, it will splatter everywhere.
- I used baby portabella mushrooms instead of button or crimini
- I made the lemon juice optional
- the recipe called for homemade bone broth, but I used Pacific Natural Food’s Organic Chicken Bone Broth.
The Hungry Pea