I start by saying this, I am new to this whole recipe blogging scene so I am sorry if I am breaking some rules by posting the recipe here. I have made some small modification, all have been noted, and I have given credit to the original creator.
Last night I made Cauliflower “Fried” Rice with Asian Marinated Shrimp, both of these recipes are from The Autoimmune Paleo Cookbook by Mickey Trescott from Autoimmune Paleo. This is one of the first AIP books I bought. It provides some useful tips and great recipes. If you are following an AIP diet and have not visited Autoimmune Paleo, I suggest you do, it’s my go-to place for AIP resources.
I rarely follow a recipe to a T and I almost always make some type of modification and this time was no exception. This time the changes were due to some missing ingredients (oversight on my part). I substituted the coconut aminos in the Asian Marinade with olive oil 😐 it didn’t have the intended flavor but still came out pretty good. I also did not include some ingredients on the rice (see below).
Cauliflower “Fried” Rice
- 1 small head cauliflower, cored and roughly chopped*
- 2 tablespoons solid cooking fat
- 1 small yellow onion, finely chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 carrot, finely chopped
- 1 zucchini, finely chopped
- 1 cup mushrooms, finely chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon powdered ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 tablespoon coconut aminos*
- 1 tablespoon chopped chives*
*I usually make my own cauliflower rice but they had some at Trader Joe’s so I decided to try it and it was pretty good! Definitely worth getting for those nights when you come home and are too tired to make it yourself. I didn’t add coconut aminos because I didn’t have any and I skipped the chives.
The recipe calls for solid cooking fat, I used bacon grease.
- Cauliflower rice – the best way to make it is by cutting it into small portions and using a food processor. Pulse for a few seconds or until it has the consistency of rice.
- Heat the cooking fat in a large skillet, when the fat has melted add the onion and cook until translucent.
- Then, add the garlic and cook for a couple minutes or until golden brown.
- Add the carrots, zucchini and cook for 5 minutes, stirring.
- Finally, add the remaining ingredients (cauliflower rice, mushrooms, salt, ginger, turmeric, and coconut amino (if using). Cook for 5 to 10 minutes, stirring until the vegetables are soft.
- Serve and garnish with chives.
Asian Marinated Shrimp*
- 1/4 cup coconut aminos
- 1 orange, juiced (about 1/3 cup)
- 1-inch piece ginger, peeled and minced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- Combine the ingredients in a blender and blend for 30 seconds
- Pout into a bag with shrimp and marinate for 1 to 2 hours
- Remove shrimp from marinade and cook until thoroughly cooked, I used cooked shrimp
The recipe calls for chicken but I decided to use shrimp instead and it was delicious!
The Hungry Pea